Animal Wellness 2016
Kitty Haven was established as a cat sanctuary in September 2000, and started taking in puppies in 2004 and became known as Kitty & Puppy Haven. In 2004 we broke away from our Bramley Branch and have changed our name to Kitty Shelter, so that we can put all our focus and attention on our animals in Parkwood. We are a non-profit, welfare organization and do not receive any Government funding. As such, we rely heavily on donations from the public – people who care about animals in the same way we do.
Merien Smidt, founder of Kitty Shelter, recognised an on-going need for an animal welfare organisation that focused on the health of the animals. Disease was rife in most welfare organisations, to visit them was a depressing experience, especially in those with a policy of not putting down their animals. Merien’s primary aim is to provide a healthy, safe and stress-free environment to aid the rehabilitation of the animals, as well as a beautiful and happy space, for animals and human visitors alike.
Aims and focus of the project
THE CAMPAIGN: Create an awareness campaign relating to animal welfare, you are to identify a problem in that affects animals in need.
THE SHELTE: You are required to design a product leading off from your awareness campaign. Something that improves the wellbeing and health of animals and helps towards solving your identified problem.
HOW WE HELPED
• Educate the community about sterilisation.
• Create awareness around vaccination and health care.
• Generating fundraising.
• Demonstrate proper cat hygiene.
• Encourage support towards the shelter.
• We aim to do this through the use of posters, brochures and animations.
WHAT WE DID
- Reduce overpopulation.
- Reduce health risks and diseases.
- Reduce abandonment.
- Creating awareness of the effects of one unsterilized cat.
- Why is vaccinating important?
- Can vaccinations be dangerous?
- Types of vaccinations.
- Brochures set out according to degree of illness.
- Brief description of each illness.
The importance of grooming.
- Flea management.
- General hygiene.
And Fund raising