The IDEA Collective team believes that the role of design and other creative activities and tools are vital to develop core life skills in all children and promote creative intelligence for South Africa and Africa at large. This will not only increase academic performance and personal development, but is the backbone of developing human capital en masse and a workforce that is better equipped to deal with future challenges confidently and efficiently, no matter their career path.
Design’s core purpose is to improve people’s lives through proactive problem solving and the creation of appropriate solutions that take cognizance of social, cultural, environmental and economic factors. The value and impact of design and innovation is invaluable across all sectors and highlights the role and necessity of design as a subject, a tool and an industry in a developing country like South Africa.
The IDEA Collective consist of a multifaceted team of design education specialists and lifetime design activists represented by Suné Stassen founder and creative director of Rock City Foundation; Professor Des Laubscher co-founder of Greenside Design Centre and board member of Ico-D (International Council of Design); Maria Thiel, principal and founder of Bridgeway High School and Irma Sargeant.
Aims and focus of the project
• Interior Designers will reimagine the classroom for the 21st century
• Graphic Designers will develop project concepts for STEAM based learning at Grade 10 Level
• Multimedia Designers will develop apps for DESIGN THINKING as a teaching aid for Secondary schooling teachers
These projects will be presented by The IDEA Collective at the STEAM symposium in Cape Town taking place in August 2017.
HOW WE HELPED
We aimed to:
- Incorporate Steam projects into the Grade 9 Syllabus to encourage Teachers to use Steam based learning within the classroom for the 21st Century
- Conceptualise and create an APP for Teachers to assist the Steam Toolkit and encourage a Design Thinking methodology in the classroom for the 21st Century
- Source the South African syllabus for Grade 9 Science,
- Technology & Engineering, Visual Arts & Drama, & Mathematics
- Collect already existing STEAM projects specific to these subjects that use integrated teaching methods
- Evaluate STEAM projects and develop a series of 4 volumes that directly influence the current syllabus
- Develop an Identity System that visually appeals to the target audience through direct communication with the audience
WHAT WE DID
Our Outputs include:
- Corporate Logo
- Project Titles
The E-STEAM Toolkit is effective as it is human-centred, we entered into conversations with our target to establish a style that appeals to them, this style can also appeal to the rest of the intermediate schooling section and project items are easily accessible.
A challenge might be the transition from teacher to pupil. We can design something beautiful, but ultimately, it is only effective if it is properly integrated into the schooling systems.
Through our hard work, we have created an opportunity for this project to be take even further. A platform for enthusiasm.